All Warmed Up

So the big question: what is it like watching six straight hours of theater??? Spoiler Alert: I still don’t know. The last play was shorter than the others and I left the theater a little after five. But still, Noon to five is still a lot of theater to chew through, and the thirty three plays I saw offered a lot of food for thought.


“What is that?” I hear you saying, “Thirty three? I thought it was only three full length plays you were watching this evening.” Well, that’s what I thought too! It’s a good thing I’m notoriously early for things, otherwise I would have missed the first of three groups of ten minute plays which preceded each of the longer offerings. Now, I did take notes on all of the mini plays, but I’m not going to review them individually, because it would be almost insane. But in my next post, I’ll talk about the experience generally and point out some of my favorites and not-so-favorites of the bunch.

There was no intermission for each of the three plays, which was fine though by the end I was so famished I raced straight across the street and got some food at Emilios, a greasy gyro and pizza place across from the theater (and quite possibly the cheapest place to eat in all of Tremont), a place that doesn’t exactly cater to vegans (I’m trying it out). I basically had enough time in each break to grab a cigarette and head back inside.

May I also point out that the concessions inside the theater are criminal. I purchased a 80 cent bottle of water for three bucks. I don’t care if it’s against the rules, but I’m going to die tomorrow if I have to rely on the food offered inside the theater.

I don’t want to spoil my reviews, but the plays themselves were a bit of a mixed bag. I loved one of them. I very much did not love another. And then I have complicated feelings about another. But I’ll wait and elaborate with each review.

But, I have to say, I had a great time, and even the stuff I wasn’t head over heels in love with, still made me think an awful lot which is all one can really ask for. Stay tuned for further reviews and wish me luck tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boston Theater Marathon 21 - Themes and First Impressions

I Have Survived!

Hair of the Dog by Constance Congdon - A Review