Caveat Emptor

The world of theater is an insular business, even in an ostensible metropolis like our fair city. I'm not quite sure how regular independent viewers do it, like Beverly Creasey or the folks at Events Insider or the cavalcade of others, but I imagine that staying objective is a tricky business. Even more so when you're not really a reviewer, but someone who actually works with (or who has aspirations to work with) companies, directors, and playwrights. From scanning thedlist of companies involved, there are three that I've worked with previously (all in the same hour block too, Jesus), and several more of whom I various degrees of connection. How can I possibly remain objective??

The truth of course, is that probably can't. But of course, we come to all things with a variety of biases and expectations. Frankly, I don't think that I'll have trouble staying objective in an interpersonal sense. I'm pretty secure with my relationship to most of my theater friends, and I also know that not every one of these ten minute plays have had the same degree of rehearsal, prep, or resources as others will have been afforded. Anyone who knows me well, knows that I have a tendency to be blunt. I tend to praise to the heavens that which I adore, and be condescending of that which I do not. I'll try to be measured in my reviews but I also plan to be honest and fairly thorough. Or at least as much as I can be.

But it would be good to get some of my biases out of the way, so you can temper your judgements on my own judgments. They are:
  1. I'm a sucker for comedy. If you can make me laugh I'll be happy. Though, as the old saying goes: Death is easy, comedy is hard.
  2. I'm more likely to credit the playwright than I am the director or actors. Unless it's a particularly strong performance. Last year, I only attended three hours of the BPT, but of the 15 plays the one that stood out by far the most was Bridge Rep's "The Interview." I remember it particularly, because I'd had the chance to read the script before hand. The script was a fine, fairly funny skit like play that sort of played as half a Monty Python skit, half a classic Christopher Durang weirdo show. I'll admit that the text didn't particularly stand out to me. However when I watched it the role of the eccentric boss was played by this actress I'd never seen before: "Deb Martin". Phenomenal. Her timing. Her angular physicality. Her performance elevated a jokey script into a sublime piece of theater. So, I will be looking over the plays (mostly to freshen my memory) as I write the reviews and I hope to bring that perspective to these reviews.
  3. I've little patience for incomprehensibility. I attended a galvanizing lecture last week by the one and only Anne Bogart at Boston College, and I'm paraphrasing her quoting someone else (so bear with me): There are three things that good theater must accomplish: 1) It must show us a new way of thinking. 2) It must feed our souls. 3) It must entertain the drunks. ... I don't frown on theater with lofty goals or challenging methods, but sometimes with some theater (and I'm thinking back to several of the student productions I witnessed (and was occasionally a part) in my college days: playwrights or directors forget that they have the give the audience a reason to listen to them. I think a good rule for any maker of theater is this: "Never take an audience's attention for granted."
  4. I tend to be more impressed by female performers than male performers. Not sure why. I think some of it might be that the actor in me can't help but unconsciously compare myself to other male actors which I don't really do with women. It may also be that there's a glut of female performers and so there's a higher bar that actresses need to clear than their fellow actors, meaning that there's a statistically higher chance of seeing a good actress in a play than a good actor. At least that's my working theory. 
  5. The fatigue factor. Listen folks, I'm not going to lie to you. I'm not sure how scrambled my brain's going to be by the time ten 'o clock rolls around. But I imagine that after I watch 49 consecutive plays, the 50th is not going to quite the get the same fair shake as, say, number 4. 
Female Actresses... and I right fellas?
So anyway. There you have it. I just wanted to get those few niggles out of the way before I actually start blogging. As for the timeline in this blog here's my plan:

Tomorrow is the Warm-Up plays. Three full length readings of new work from noon to six. My plan is to post about the experience and review each play individually before the actual marathon begins on Sunday, as I'd really like to have to wake up Monday mornWing and start at a deficit. Then hopefully my plan is to publish two reviews a day come rain or shine. I'll review them in the order witnessed. 

If you're reading this, thanks for coming along the journey with me! See you on the flip side tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boston Theater Marathon 21 - Themes and First Impressions

I Have Survived!

Hair of the Dog by Constance Congdon - A Review